Thursday, February 5, 2009

I feel like I need to blog!

Okay everyone (if indeed there is anyone), I've been busy doing things which are not really blogable. However I think I will just make a few notable mentions.

1) My eldest nephew now has is own e-mail address. Congrats to, well you know who you are. Seems like it's a modern right of passage, and when should it happen? It's the key to the door, start to having new pen pals and other wondrous stuff.

2) An on-line associate started blogging, but ran afoul of thoughtless comments early on, and they have quit blogging. I hope they start again, but nudge themselves into it differently. There are several reasons to blog, IMHO.

a) Keep friends "in the loop", like a family "new service".
b) To share your opinions - expect flamers and weirdos here if you go public.
c) To inform a community of ongoing events. Great for providing marketing on the cheap.
d) To boost your ego, whoring yourself out there so all can say "you are wonderful" or to know 10,000 people follow your blog.

For me this blog is reason a). It includes people who stray here after finding my comments on other blogs. I seem to only really visit blogs of friends or friends of friends.

I do have another blog of type c), and there is a community that follow it. I know to keep the two separate, as do friends in the crossover.

3) My parents are coming to visit. Anyone who is a parent, or a spouse, will know that visits from parents bring a multitude of things. Mostly they bring visitors, eager to share the latest news, and see first hand that you really are well.

The other things parental visits bring are the typical stresses of "Is the house tidy?", "Will they be judging me/my spouse/my kids?", "What can we feed them?", "This will throw our schedules out...".

I believe most of these stresses are paranoia, but all the sitcoms and soaps leave us to believe it as fact. It's not that sitcoms or soaps are convincing media, but they are "funny because they're true" type deals, so you know that the writers prevailing belief is that it's based on fact, which means at some level it's true.

Paranoid ramblings? Yup.

4) It's raining. Last week we were having brush fires down in Morgan Hill, a little rain like this can only add to the fire risk. A lot of rain will mean my parents will be here for real weather. Still, since it's been upper 60's for the last week, and the UK has just had "worst snows in 20 years" they should be glad of the change.

Enough prattling on for now.

TTFN

Me

No comments: