Tuesday, July 1, 2008

San Francisco Zoo

These pictures go back a while, back to 2003. I was using "black and white", indeed, they had just introduced the new C41 processed B&W film, one you could get developed everywhere.I think these were from a photo CD, they look too good for my flatbed scanner. The prints had a bluish cast, but the CD doesn't.

The park benches were a departure for me, I had previously been more focussed on older street furniture, cast iron predominantly. Seeing the stacked tables it was a natural departure.


There is an irresistible attraction to back lit plants. Often it works well, as above, and sometimes simple okay as below.


My favourite shot of the day was this tiger. I did tweak the contrast in Photoshop, but I think I managed to do okay there.



I sometimes think I should have played more with B&W over the years. I was always displeased with the result, but I figured it was as much a development process as the exposure, and was trying to justify a dark room. Playing with Photoshop I saw the advantage to not having chemicals around the house, and the immediacy of the result was more gratifying.

3 comments:

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, the second picture is very nice.

I think they already introduced a color-processed BW film around 1980, the XP1 (later replaced by the XP2). I forget if it was a Fuji film or... no, it was an Ilford, I think. Yep.

Mrs P said...

I like the tweaking you did on the tiger shot. It's more dramatic to view...

Very nice!

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Me likes sleeping cats!
:-)