Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Just when you think this technology is never going to appear, at last a hand held document viewer that seems credible.

I actually had my hands on one in the bookstore today. It felt comfortable, not too heavy, nice thickness, buttons not too easily damaged.

Then I tried to use it. It was an unattended demo model on the sales floor of Borders. It was locked up in a state where it said it was starting. It sat there, unresponsive to keys or power switch. I thought it might have been a fake mock up with a label where the screen should have been, but no. I looked and saw the SD card was missing. Was this the problem? Is there no internal RAM? I saw that the dock was kinda mashing some of the buttons, was that the problem? I wrote that off just as a sales kiosk thing, but no, it's actually the charging cradle.

So will I spend $100 on one of these? Trying to hold Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, or The First Saint Compendium makes me want a compact e-book viewer. But these things are actually $270 right now (probably without memory), so I'm going to wait. But the time is getting closer.

No comments: